Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire: When the movie is better than the book

Last November (2008), I watched Slumdog Millionaire. I don’t think I can express how I  felt. Maybe it was one of those bad days when things are not going too well in your world. The movie was heavy with the harsh realities of the life of more than a third of the Indian population. I left the theatre with a strong desire to do something to make a difference and a desire to read the book on which the movie is based. This post reviews the book and the movie (maybe I will post an update on what I have done since then if it does end up making a difference in some one's life).
Slumdog Millionaire is based on the novel, Q&A written by Vikad Swarup, an Indian diplomat. Vikas Swarup, in an interview, mentioned that when Danny Boyle, the director of Slumdog Millionaire, told him that he would preserve the body of his book, Swarup should have realized that Danny would kill the soul. This heightened my expectations of the book. Such a dramatic and powerful movie can only be based on really well written-book, or so I thought. Maybe I should mention that I belong to the old school where books are better than movies, even if the movie has won six Oscars.

Anyway I got a chance to lay my hand on Q&A, now republished as Slumdog Millionaire last week, and I have the following comparison to offer. The movie is indeed based on book’s content and follows the structure of the book, as a series of questions on the popular show -Who wants to be a billionaire? That’s where the similarity ends. The book is no more than a collection of loosely bound short stories while the movie is solid commentary on Indian society with a focus on urban Indian poor. Unfortunately the book does not develop its characters, focusing instead on a series of disparate events, some of them unbelievable. While the movie floors you not only with its characters, but also by vividly capturing the life of Dharavi, believed to be Asia’s biggest slum, in the heart in India's financial capital Mumbai. If the purpose of the author was to make a generic commentary on India, he needed even more meat on the bones, which the book does not have. The author’s way of capturing the role religion plays in Indian society, through a protagonist with the name ‘Ram Mohammed Thomas’ (RMT) is far more unrealistic & ineffective than the movie’s depiction of a mob.

There are lots of other changes that the movie’s screenplay makes, small big and other small. It omits stories of RMT aka Jamal Khan (the name of the movie’s protagonist) as a bartender and his adventures in Delhi at an Australian Diplomats house. It also twists the story line, introducing an under world don while omitting a contract killer. Overall, the screenplay effectively makes a collection of short stories into a coherent movie, one that rises above its individual characters while reflecting the reality of life of the urban Indian poor. It however does this while ensuring that the characters are well developed. In this case the movie is far better than the book.

4 comments:

Manu said...

I had had a chance to read Q&A as Q&A long back... When even Danny Boyle might not have read it...

In those days Vikas Swarup used to be my father's Boss... and the book was a personal copy... anyway!

I would like to say just one thing about the book... it is probably the most pathetic book i have ever read. period. But yeah, i haven't read many books anyway.

movie.. umm... well, i still don't understand why oscar? but then am just a poor fella who wouldn't know much about the oscar nomination committee's working principles.

Anyway, nice to meet you this way. Its been really long.

Sonia said...

Thanks for the feedback. Yup Q & A is bad book though I may have read worse ones.

But I am afraid I can't place you without your full name. It's just that I know three people by that first name and don't have an iota of an idea of their parent's occupation to discern. I sure would like to know who am I catching up with.

Sonia said...

Thanks for the feedback. Yup Q & A is bad book though I may have read worse ones.

But I am afraid I can't place you without your full name. It's just that I know three people by that first name and don't have an iota of an idea of their parent's occupation to discern. I sure would like to know who am I catching up with.

Manu said...

errr.... ok! catch me at manusunil@gmail.com :)